Unitarian Universalists of Fallston
Religious Education for Children
"We cannot give our children a growing and creative religious life.
A fine religion is a personal achievement."
- Sophia Lyon Fahs
Drawing on the legacy of Sophia Lyon Fahs and other pioneers in liberal religious education, we believe in helping children and youth grow their faith with questioning, wondering, and personal experience.
Through Sunday classes and all-ages events, we share with our children:
• Values such as justice, fairness, and compassion
• Joy for the lifelong spiritual search
• Respect for neighbors of all faiths
• A sense of belonging and love
• Unitarian Universalist roots
We draw upon our seven Unitarian Universalist principles to guide our curriculum selection and teaching approach.
1. We teach that each and every person is important.
2. We teach that all people should be treated fairly and kindly.
3. We teach that we should accept one another and keep on learning together.
4. We teach that each person should be free to search for what is true and right in life.
5. We teach that all persons should have a vote about things that concern them.
6. We teach working for a peaceful, fair and free world.
7. We teach caring for our planet and earth, the home we share with all living things
We Teach . . .
The Winter 2014 curriculum for the elementary Religious Education class is "Super Heroes; Bible People" by Gaia Brown. This is a program that examines characters in the Bible through the lens of Unitarian Universalist values. We will follow up with "UU Super Heroes," a program that helps the children explore values through the lives of real-life historical role models.
The elementary Religious Education class is intentionally multi-age , welcoming children from kindergarten through sixth grade. This inclusive model emphasizes community building and UU values and allows us to focus on the children and not their "grade level."
Parent and non-parent volunteers work together in roles such as teaching, serving on the Religious Education Leadership Team, and telling stories for adults and children together during the Sunday morning service.
Information Brochure to View or Print :